Our client, a leading infrastructure contractor is seeking a Project Director to join their Major Projects team in Vancouver or Toronto.
Purpose of the Position
Reporting to the Vice President, Major Projects, the Project Director will be responsible for managing large complex major construction projects, including design build, P3 and joint ventures, and all aspects of project performance.
- Overall Project Management and Delivery, including safety, quality, financial and schedule of major projects with a value of $2Billion to $5Billion from bid to execution and close-out
- Implement and enforce company’s corporate health and safety program
- Maintain excellent relationships with owner, architect, consultants, subcontractors & public.
- Supervise, mentor, coach and train project personnel.
- Manage Design Development and Design Coordination staff
- Provide monthly and weekly reports including cost forecast, schedule and cash flow.
- Oversee and participate in regular project reforecasts
- Carry out all project administration in accordance with company policies and procedures. Utilize company’s project management system to complete all project administration.
- Work with project staff to develop, monitor the project schedule including identifying critical path dependent elements and recovery methods.
- Understand and enforce prime contract and subcontract responsibilities.
- Resolve project disputes.
- Negotiate and issue subcontracts and major purchase orders and monitor their progress and schedule.
- Responsible for delivery of payment requests to clients and approval of payments to subcontractors, suppliers etc.
- Estimate and process Change Orders, including negotiating and assessing cost and schedule impact.
- Involved in all facets of project close-out, including archiving of documents, maintenance and warranty manuals, deficiencies and warranty work.
- Assist in securing new work by participating in proposals, tender closings and presentations.
- Be an ambassador of the company both internally and externally.
- Ensure compliance with union obligations.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering or equivalent
- A minimum of 20 years of construction experience on major projects
- The proven ability to successfully manage large and complex P3 construction projects in excess of $2 Billion to $5 Billion
- The proven ability to effectively manage project staff.
- Sound understanding of contractual, commercial and financial functions on major projects
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of construction (technology, equipment, methods), industry practices, estimating/budgeting, scheduling and safety requirements.
- Experience working in Joint Ventures with international partners
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to resolve project disputes.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, MS Word and Excel.
- Proficiency in Primavera P6 and Hard Dollar ideal
- Commitment to Safety
- Drive for Results
- Learning on the Fly
- Planning and Organizing
- Problem Solving
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Integrity and Trust
- Customer Focus
- Supervise and assign responsibilities to project teams including project managers, superintendents, project coordinators and administrative assistants assigned to project
- Manage Performance expectations and conduct Performance Evaluations of project staff
- Provide advice, guidance, and direction to subordinate executives and managers toward their professional development.
- Responsible for overall project profitability.
- Responsible for accurate monthly reforecasts
- Negotiation of all subcontracts and purchase orders.
- Pricing of change notices.
- Approval of all project subcontract and material invoices.
- Review of project staff expense reports.
Physical Demands Analysis
- Able to perform in a fast paced environment.
- Walking, lifting, etc.
- Ability to carry drawings and diaries as required.
- Ability to use stairs, ladders and climb over rough terrain.
- Primary work location is head office or project site.
- Project related travel anticipated.
- Exposure to construction work site environment in all seasons.
• Only candidates with authorisation to work in Canada will be considered
Please clearly highlight relevant work experience, project overviews and project scale ($) in your resume.