A work visa for Canada can be issued to an individual who is not a permanent resident of Canada and not a Canadian citizen which is intended for a specified job and length of time.
It is required whether or not the employer is in Canada. To apply for a work visa at an immigration office, you have to be legally admitted to or a citizen of a country that is served by this immigration office.
You must also be informed that a work visa is the same as work permit, A work visa does not give you a permanent residence in Canada. However, some individuals may prefer to immigrate through Express Entry.
To do a work Visa, you must be able to qualify through a visa immigration program as a permanent resident. Spouses and dependents of applicants may be able to apply to come to Canada and they can apply for work permit or study permit if they so wish.
How To Get A Work Visa For Canada
- First and foremost, you will be required to obtain an employment letter or job offer letter from a Canadian employer in Canada in order to apply for a work visa. The Canadian employer may be asked to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) approval before he can hire you.
- You will also be asked to provide a piece of evidence to show that you meet the requirements of the job offer.
- But if you intend to apply for an open work permit, you may not be required to provide an employment offer with your application. An open work permit can only be issued to spouses and common-law partners in some cases, and dependent children in some cases.
There are some jobs which do not need a work permit. If you are a citizen of a number of countries that requires a temporary resident visa (TRV) to enter Canada, you will only need to freely apply for a visa if you do not need a work permit. You can also find out step on how to go about Canada Express Entry Process.
Where To Apply For Work Permit To Canada
Basically, you will have to apply for a work visa (or work permit) from outside Canada. Sometimes, you can apply from inside Canada or as you enter Canada, but most of the requirements are the same. How you apply along with the processing time for your application depends on the type of work you intend to do when you enter Canada.
Required Documentation For Work Visa For Canada:
- Application form for Work visa Made Outside of Canada
- Family Information Form (IMM 5645)
- Two (2) clear passport photographs
- Processing fee in the acceptable format.
- Valid international passport – there must be one completely blank page available other than the last page. Your passport validity must coincide with the work permit validity
- A copy of the Labour Market Opinion (LMO) provided by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), if applicable.
- Your job offer or employment letter from your prospective Canadian employer giving your job title, working conditions, wages.
- Evidence or proof that indicates you fulfill the requirements of the job being offered such as employment references specifying the previous jobs and job responsibilities, copies of relevant education certificates, proof of professional or vocational qualifications.
- Proof of financial ability to cover the expenses for the duration of the visit to Canada.