Also known as software developers, software engineers have one of the fastest-growing occupations in the United States. Most experienced software engineers make over six figures and enjoy great perks, such as being able to work remotely from home or while traveling.1
While these engineers do require a certain set of skills, taking the time to hone these skills is worthwhile.
What Does a Software Engineer Do & Types of Software Engineers
The software engineering field is broad. Developers have different sets of technical expertise, from building computer information systems to maintaining network security to creating customer-facing web pages.
There are two primary types of software engineers: applications software developers and systems software developers.
Applications Software Developers
- Design software for the end user to interact with
- Develop applications for iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, and more
- Conduct requirements analysis
- Tweak software and release updates regularly
Front-end or back-end?
- Location554 E 15th Ave, Second Floor
Vancouver, BCV5T 2R5Remote work available
- Salary$$69,000 to $90,000YEAR annually for 30 to 37.5 hours per week
- Terms of employmentPermanent employment
- Overtime, Flexible Hours
- Start dateStarts as soon as possible
- Benefits: Health benefits, Other benefits, Long term benefits, Financial benefits
College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
or equivalent experience
- Computer Science
- Engineering Technology, General
- Computer Hardware Technology/Technician
2 years to less than 3 years
- Specific Skills
- Collect and document user’s requirements and develop logical and physical specifications; Research, evaluate and synthesize technical information to design, develop and test computer-based systems; Develop data, process and network models to optimize architecture and to evaluate the performance and reliability of designs; Plan, design and co-ordinate the development, installation, integration and operation of computer-based systems; Assess, troubleshoot, document, upgrade and develop maintenance procedures for operating systems, communications environments and applications software; Lead and co-ordinate teams of information systems professionals in the development of software and integrated information systems, process control software and other embedded software control systems
- Operating Systems
- Operating Systems and Software
- Work Setting
- Consulting firm
- Programming Languages
- Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
- Fast-paced environment; Work under pressure; Repetitive tasks; Attention to detail; Combination of sitting, standing, walking; Tight deadlines
- Remote work available
- Health benefits
- Health care plan; Disability benefits; Dental plan; Vision care benefits; Paramedical services coverage
- Financial benefits
- Bonus; Mileage paid; Commission; Stocks/shares
- Long term benefits
- Group insurance benefits; Life insurance; Other benefits; Deferred profit-sharing plan (DPSP); Long-term care insurance; Maternity and parental benefits
- Other benefits
- On-site amenities; On-site recreation and activities; Free parking available; Subsidised public transportation; Learning/training paid by employer; Paid time off (volunteering or personal days); Team building opportunities; Travel insurance; Wellness program
- Screening questions
- Are you willing to relocate for this position?; What is the highest level of study you have completed?; Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?; Are you available for shift or on-call work?; Do you have the necessary equipment for remote work (i.e. internet, home office, etc.)?; Do you have education in this field of employment?
Jobs for Ukraine
This employer has selected to promote this job through “Jobs for Ukraine”. Canadian citizens and permanent residents can still apply.
Health care plan, Disability benefits, Dental plan, Vision care benefits, Paramedical services coverage
On-site amenities, On-site recreation and activities, Free parking available, Subsidised public transportation, Learning/training paid by employer, Paid time off (volunteering or personal days), Team building opportunities, Travel insurance, Wellness program
Long term benefits
Group insurance benefits, Life insurance, Other benefits, Deferred profit-sharing plan (DPSP), Long-term care insurance, Maternity and parental benefits
Bonus, Mileage paid, Commission, Stocks/shares
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Here is what you must include when submitting your application:
- Cover letter
- Link to web portfolio
- Copy of portfolio or relevant work examples
- Highest level of education and name of institution where it was completed