Roofers cover roofs of structures with shingles, slate, asphalt, aluminum, wood, or related materials. May spray roofs, sidings, and walls with material to bind, seal, insulate, or soundproof sections of structures. They also inspect problem roofs to determine the best repair procedures.
To succeed in this role, you should have the ability to use hand tools, such as shingle cutters and roofing hatchets, and stand on ladders and scaffolds for long hours at a time. You’ll also know how to handle materials (e.g. wood, asphalt) for different roofing styles and tasks.
Other tasks include:
- Remove snow, water, or debris from roofs prior to applying roofing materials.
- Set up scaffolding to provide safe access to roofs.
- Estimate materials and labor required to complete roofing jobs.
- Cement or nail flashing strips of metal or shingle over joints to make them watertight.
- Install partially overlapping layers of material over roof insulation surfaces, using chalk lines, gauges on shingling hatchets, or lines on shingles.
- Terms of employmentPermanent employment
- Start dateStarts as soon as possible
- vacancies1 vacancy
- Location1740 Broadway St.Port Coquitlam, BCV3C 2M8
- Salary$$27.00HOUR hourly for 40 hours per week
- Ensure roofs protect buildings from weather conditions, such as rain or snow
- Use hand tools and other equipment (e.g. scaffold, ladder)
- Follow safety rules
- Set up vapor barriers and vents
- Install insulation and solar energy systems
- Restock roofing materials, such as clay and cement
- Build roofs using various materials and tools
- Deliver projects within timeline
- Inspect damages and estimate costs of labor
- Repair or replace broken materials
- Remove debris from roofs to place materials
- Smoothen roof surfaces and fill in edges with cement
No degree, certificate or diploma
2 years to less than 3 years
- Roofer Specific Skills
- Install sheet metal flashings; Install and repair metal roofs using hand and power tools; Apply waterproof coatings to concrete or other masonry surfaces below or above ground level
How to apply