An Arborist is a professional who specializes in planting and maintaining large woody plants and trees.
Arborist responsibilities include:
- Meeting with clients to discuss their landscaping needs
- Assessing soil and space requirements for new trees
- Planting new trees or woody plants
We are looking for an Arborist to join our team and maintain and plant trees for our clients.
An Arborist’s responsibilities include pruning trees, removing dead trees, and working with clients to understand their needs.
Ultimately, you will work directly with clients to address their needs with woody plants and trees on their property.
- Location: 22216, South Cooking Lake RoadSherwood Park, ABT8C 1H2
- Salary: 33.00 to 45.00 hourlyfor 50 hours per 50 to 100 hours per week
- Terms of employment: Permanent employmentFull time
- Day, Weekend, Overtime, Flexible Hours, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as 2023-02-20
- Benefits: Financial benefits, Long term benefits, Other benefits
- vacancies 1
- College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma from a program of 1 year to 2 years
- or equivalent experience
3 years to less than 5 years
The employer stated that this is a green job because the position:
- Involves duties and responsibilities that lead to positive environmental outcomes
Work site environment
- At heights
- Urban area
- Rural area
- Various locations
- Identify and treat diseased trees
- Trim tree branches and prune trees
- Test and maintain soil conditions
- Apply specialized tree fertilizers
- Apply pesticides if necessary
- Remove dead or unwanted trees
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as an Arborist or similar role
- Knowledge of soil biology and fertilizer compositions
- Familiarity with climbing equipment
- Ability to operate handsaws and mechanical devices
- Ability to work in all weather conditions and at heights
- Relevant training and/or certifications as an Arborist
- Estimate costs
- Write specifications
- Apply various treatments such as pruning, spraying, repairing damaged areas and injecting with treatment solutions
- Examine trees and shrubs to diagnose problems and disease
- Plant and move trees
- Weed, prune and trim trees and plants
- Plant bulbs, flowers, shrubs and trees
Certificates, licences, memberships, and courses
- International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) certification
- Arboriculturists Trade Certification
Experience and specialization
- Residential projects
- Commercial and/or industrial construction
- Park and recreation sites
Product inspection experience
- Plants and plant products
Area of specialization
- Plant knowledge and identification
- Tree improvement and nurseries
- Tree service
Security and safety
- Driving record check (abstract)
- Valid driver’s licence
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Attention to detail
- Handling heavy loads
- Physically demanding
- Bending, crouching, kneeling
- Client focus
- Efficient interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral communication
- Team player
- As per collective agreement
- Mileage paid
- Piece work
Long term benefits
- Other benefits
- Free parking available
- Learning/training paid by employer
- Transportation provided by employer
- Variable or compressed work week
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
780-919-2302 Between 09:00 AM and 05:00 AM
Here is what you must include in your application:
- Proof of the requested certifications
This job posting includes screening questions. Please answer the following questions when applying:
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?
Frequently asked questions
What does an Arborist do?
An Arborist plants, maintains, and diagnoses shrubberies and trees.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an Arborist?
An Arborist has many responsibilities like planting new trees and identifying and treating diseased trees.
What makes a good Arborist?
A good Arborist must have an excellent knowledge of tree biology and tree anatomy to ensure trees and shrubs are healthy throughout the year.
Who does an Arborist work with?
An Arborist will work with many professionals like a Landscaper to identify what trees need to be added or removed from an outdoor area to meet the needs of their customers.